Fix Neutropenia (FIXNET) : focusing on neutrophil proteases defects which serve as novel diagnostic and therapeutic options
Project is carried out within the TEAM - NET programme of the Foundation for Polish Science
Neutrophil granulocytes (NGs) are the most abudant leukocyte population and their dysfunction frequently affects vaccination program and is linked with a high risk of life-threatening infection (in Poland approx.
children / yr). NGs contain specialized set of granules which incorporate a number of functionally important proteins includingspecific neutrophil serine proteases (NSPs).
Genetic mutations of NSPs frequently lead to NGs defects. Thus, NSPs are essential for neutrophil development and action.
The main objective of the current project is to marge clinical and genomic data with molecular biology of NSPs and unique highly selective chemical tools for identification of their role in NGs dysfunction.
Joined efforts of three academic centers as an established the FIXNET consortium will work together to reach this goal. This will develop cutting-edge diagnostics and will explore new therapeutic horizons for patients with rare and common diseases associated with NGs dysfunction.
Prof. Wojciech Młynarski Project leader
Prof. Marcin Drąg Scientific Supervisor (Wrocław University of Science and Technology)
dr Paulina Kasperkiewicz- Wasilewska - Team Leader (Wrocław University of Science and Technology)
Key responsibilities include : Design and synthesis of fluorescent and metal conjugated activity based probes and their biochemical evaluation
10000 PLN before taxes ( 7700 PLN gross / 5500 PLN net) up to 5 years after PhD defend (the beginning of this period is a year of diploma obtaining, and the end is a year of application deadline) max. period 24 months
15000 PLN before taxes ( 11000PLN gross / 8000 PLN net) 6 up to 9 years after PhD defend (the beginning of this period is a year of diploma obtaining, and the end is a year of application deadline) max. period 16 months
Period of contract agreement :
One year with a possibility to extend up to 2 years (up to 5 years after PhD defend)
One year with a possibility to extend up 16 months (6 up to 9 years after PhD defend)
envisaged job starting date : November 2020)
Skills / Qualifications
1. PhD degree in chemistry or biochemistry, or related discipline up to five years after the end of the studies (the beginning of this period is a year of diploma obtaining, and the end is a year of application deadline)
2. Publications and conference presentations in the subject related to the project.
3. Very good English skills and excellent communication skills.
4. Extensive experience in working with peptide synthesis and paptide based activity-based probes is required.
5. Extensive experience in the field of organic synthesis.
6. Extensive experience in working with proteolytic enzymes and knowledge of enzymatic kinetics.
7. Practical knowledge of HPLC, NMR, spectrofluorimetry and mass spectrometry.
8. High personal culture and work ethic.
During the interview, a substantive knowledge test is planned for the issues described above.